Thursday, June 14, 2007

Knitting Lace Course

I went along last weekend to a Knitting Lace course at Twist Fibre Craft Studio, Newburgh, Fife.

I've never been to a knitting course or lesson before, I learned the basics from my Mum and Gran when I was wee and have picked up other techniques myself through books and the Internet. So I was feeling a bit apprehensive before going along - what if I was doing it all wrong?

There were only 3 of us doing the course which meant we were all able to get a good look at what our tutor was demonstrating. We knitted 3 different lace patterns over the two hours, changing yarn each time. There wasn't huge amounts of chat but when you're knitting lace you really have to concentrate.

The most important thing I got out of the course was that all this time I actually was doing it properly. Although I've not attempted any huge pieces of complicated lace, I've knitted lace in lots of patterns over the years, it's just that I didn't think of them as lace. The prospect of tackling a large shawl or stole doesn't faze me now!

I would highly recommend this workshop and it's worth going to Newburgh just to have a look in the Twist Fibre Shop. It's not the biggest but it is crammed full of loads of desirable yarn - Rowan, Debbie Bliss, Noro, Opal were the ones that jumped out at me but I'm sure they stock others too.

Two of the books I looked at during the workshop are definitely wish list items - Heirloom Knitting and Victorian Lace Today. Both very detailed with gorgeous patterns.

No comments: